THANK YOU FOR BROWSING THROUGH MY ART WORK..PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE SO I CAN RETURN THE FAVOUR :)

Thursday, March 31, 2011

SOLD

OLD BARN - SALTSPRING ISLAND

This was painted on Frederix Watercolor Canvas. The advantage is you don’t have to use glass when framing but I found it very tricky to paint on. You had to lay your color down and leave it alone. If you put your brush on it again it lifts it off back to the canvas. This can be an advantage if you don’t like something but I like to blend on the paper and found that it didn’t work quite as well as regular paper

Tom Lynch who is a well known painter exclusively uses this canvas now in his workshops. I am sure with practice you would master the technique.

Alot of galleries shun watercolor due to the glare, especially in the Southern US where the light is so bright and houses have so many windows. This would be one way of getting around that.
I would certainly give it a try if you work in watercolors. You can buy regular canvases or a book of canvas sheets. You have to spray it when finished

2 comments:

  1. Ruth - this technique gives you a very lucious spontaneous watercolor look and your handling of the roof is awesome. I love, love, love this painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb.. I should try another one on the canvas. It just needs patience I guess to keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete